The Rocky Safari is a journey that began over five years ago. Even though I built this blog in 2013, my inspiration for it originated during the Shanghai World Expo of 2010 – an event I wanted so badly to attend, experience, and blog about. Over time, my writing became more specialized as I discovered my interests throughout all of college and beyond. Today, I still run a multi-topic blog with content about travel stories, personality psychology, and gay romance. My blog tells my life story. Writing, traveling, and sharing the joy of worldly experiences through stories and pictures is what I live for.
I wanted to write this post now, in 2018, to share a few life updates about who I am, where I’ve been, and where I’m going.
10 Facts About The Rocky Safari
- My real name is Rocky. It is not short for anything. I am 22 years old and I live close to New York City!
- I graduated from Rutgers University where I studied psychology and entrepreneurship.
- I have spent the last year working in financial services learning about how money works, how to invest, tackle debt, and save money on several types of insurance. (Email me for FREE help getting your finances in order via [email protected])
- I recently broke up from my boyfriend, who I was hoping to eventually travel with. I always felt we’d make a good travel team but I am not sure if this is something he would have been open to. After breaking up, my vision for the future was shattered and I started to give up on my dreams. Now I decided I should still go for it solo!
- After four years of living on my own at college and working as a Resident Assistant for my university, I am back to living at home with my parents. On the bright side, I am saving some money! My family is close and we get along well.
- My dream is to experience long-term travel as a lifestyle. The longest I have ever stayed out of the country was just one month. I want to go full-on digital nomad for awhile!
- I am OBSESSED WITH BIRDS.
- I have never had coffee IN MY LIFE. Never. Not even in college! I’m low-key proud of it. Instead, I get my caffeine fix from tea. I love tea!!!!
- Watching Survivor is my guilty pleasure. I actually AUDITIONED hahahahahahah.
- I love meeting new people, forming deep and meaning relationships, and helping others. If you know your Myers-Briggs personality type – I am INFJ.
10 Reasons I Want to Travel
- Most of my favorite memories stem from learning about other countries. I want to go to less traditional places to learn and discover what I might otherwise never fully appreciate.
- Curiosity. I want to prove to myself that I can do it!
- They say amazing things happen when you step right outside of your comfort zone. It is time for me to get uncomfortable again.
- Part of me feels like if I don’t try to do this now, when will I ever?
- I believe such a big adventure will teach me things I can’t learn any other way.
- In China, I had such an incredible time interacting with the locals. I want to meet natives from other countries. Oh and other travelers too!
- I am not a picky eater whatsoever. I am actually quite open-minded when it comes to food. I want to try new and crazy foods I have never seen before.
- I hope traveling will improve my blogging and photography skills.
- I want to show other introverts that this can be done, as unnatural as it may feel for us. There is nothing easy about sacrificing your comfort zone for the uncertain and unpredictable sensory world that is out there.
- I don’t want to have any regrets. Life is uncertain. Things happen. Sometimes, when we least expect it. I understand with delayed gratification, I might be better suited to do this one day down the road but when the time comes, will I still want to??? If I don’t do this now, there is a high possibility I never will.
Where Will Rocky Go?
Truth be told, I honestly don’t know where I will end up. I want to see as many countries as possible but also within reason. Originally, I was going to plan my trip in great detail because I HATE the feeling of uncertainty but planning out all of my travels would defeat the purpose of going in the first place. I have a general idea of where I hope to go but even then, I am going to take it step-by-step and day-by-day.
My purpose is not to travel quickly
but rather to enjoy and understand the places I visit.
My first destination is TBD. I may start in Lisbon if I opt to visit Western Europe first. I was also considering Croatia to avoid the Schengen zone altogether for now. Then there is a part of me that would love to even start in Thailand since I’ve always dreamed of going to that country!!! SO MANY POSSIBILITIES.
My departure date will most likely fall between May and July because there is still some necessary preparation that needs to be done before I leave.
But more than anything else, I am excited.