“Let’s assume we do, in fact, use only 10% of our brain. If you could unlock the remaining 90%, what would you do with it?” -The Daily Post
The belief that humans only use about 10% of their brain seems to contradict most of the research I have read. However, if somehow proven true, I suspect the remaining 90% would only enhance our current abilities. I know many people suggest that the extra 90% of our brain would unlock new abilities currently thought to be impossible (mind-reading, levitation, etc.) but I think it would have a greater effect on what we do poorly.
I think the extra brainpower would further enhance our mental processing weaknesses. The brain activates small regions at a time in an effort to save energy. Individuals sometimes struggle to activate certain regions of their brain while they can easily activate others. This helps explain why people think differently.
With access to 100% of our brain, I would almost suspect that all people would be able to equally assess situations from a variety of perspectives and we would essentially lose both our individuality and our broad personality types.
I think that even if we unlocked 100% of our brains, we’d all still be different. I think of it this way: if all of us have and use only 10% of our brains and yet we are so different, using a 100% of our brains will still keep the personality intact while maybe simply enhancing them. It’s like a new lever ground.
Here is what I said I’d do:
Hmm I see where you’re coming from but I think that if we only use 10%, it would make sense that the 10% each of us uses makes us all different. However, at 100% usage, I would imagine we’d all be the same (or at least extremely similar) because our brains are all composed of the same regions that process the same things. We just use our brains differently. I’m not sure. Actually none of this really matters that much because I don’t actually believe in the 10% idea.
You are part of my assignment, but I’m glad to drop by. The brain is where the mind is housed. The mind is not the brain, and a fascinating place. I believe we are all created by a Creator who in His wisdom made us body soul and spirit.
In your seeking, perhaps you will consider a wholistic approach, that will include the physical, the psychological and the spiritual. For me, a good and trusted road map has been the Bible, and has taken me beyond the basics.
A simple but good book to read is : Who switched off my brain by Dr Caroline Leaf who is a cognitive neuro scientist. Happy seeking.
Hi Carol! Thank you for the suggestion. I’ll consider it the next time I’m looking for a new book. 🙂